Diazepam 10 mg helps in the treatment of anxiety, withdrawal of alcohol, and seizures. This drug is also used to relieve muscle spasms and to provide sedation before medical procedures. It works by relaxing the nerves and brain. Diazepam belongs to a category of drugs known as benzodiazepines.
Dosage of Medication
2-10 mg PO q6-12hr, or 2-10 mg IV/IM q6-12hr; not more than 30 mg/8 hours
10 mg PO q6-8hr during the first 24hr; reduce to 5 mg PO q6-8hr PRN
Initial: 10 mg IV/IM, may give additional doses of 5-10 mg IV q6-8hr as needed.
IV: Titrate dose to 10 mg or less immediately before procedure, not to exceed a cumulative dose of 20 mg; reduce the dose of narcotic by one third or omit, OR
IM: 5-10 mg 30 minutes before the procedure
10 mg IM before surgery
2-10 mg PO q6-8hr PRN, Or 5-10 mg IV/IM initially; THEN q3-4hr if needed.
2-10 mg PO q6-12hr Or 0.2 mg/kg PR, repeat after 4-12 hours PRN
The precautions that a person has to know are as follows-
- Consult your doctor if you are allergic to it, or to oxazepam or temazepam; or if you have any other allergies, before taking diazepam.
- It may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems.
- Consult your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, before using this medication, especially of a particular muscle disease (myasthenia gravis), lung/breathing problems, mental disorders (such as depression, suicidal thoughts), personal or family history of a substance use disorder (like addiction to drugs/alcohol), glaucoma, liver disease, kidney disease.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy or cause blurred vision.
- Do not drive, use heavy machines, or do any activity that requires alertness or clear vision until you regain your consciousness. Avoid alcoholic beverages.
- Consult your doctor or dentist about all the products you use ( prescribed as well as nonprescribed drugs, and herbal products), before having surgery,
- Elderly people may be more sensitive to the side effects of this drug, especially drowsiness.
- This drug is not recommended during pregnancy. It may harm an unborn baby. Consult your doctor for more details.
- Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
Side Effects of the Diazepam 10mg medicine
- Blurred vision or unsteadiness may occur.
- Always take this medicine with the prescription of your doctor.
- Tell your doctor immediately if you have any severe side effects, including mental/mood changes, difficulty in speaking, difficulty in walking, muscular weakness, difficulty in urination, yellowing eyes/skin.
- Take medical help immediately if you have any severe side effects, including slow/shallow breathing.
- Consult your doctor immediately if you notice any symptoms of a severe allergic reaction, including rashes, itching/swelling ( face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
I overdosed and has severe symptoms such as passing out or trouble to breathe, call 911. Severe drowsiness, slow reflexes, slow/shallow breathing, fainting, unconsciousness are few symptoms of overdose.
Do not share this medication with others. It is against the law.
If a dose is missed, take it as soon as you remember. If it is late in the afternoon, skip the missed dose. Take your next dose at the proper time. Do not double the dose to balance it.
- Keep it at room temperature away from light and moisture.
- Do not freeze.
- Do not store in the bathroom.
- Keep it away from children and pets.
- Do not flush drug down the toilet or drain unless instructed to do so.
- Discard this drug when it is expired or no longer needed. diazepam tablets